Mold Removal and Prevention

Mold Removal and Prevention

Mold can be a pretty annoying thing around any home, especially in bathrooms and basements where the conditions for its spreading are almost ideal. Some types of mold can even be pretty dangerous for your health, regardless of any allergies. Stachybotrys, more

commonly known as black mold is one of them. It is extremely important to get rid of it as soon as you can if you want to make sure you solve it without any issues.

Black mold is a dangerous type of mold that should never be disturbed unless you work with a specialist, since its spores contain dangerous mycotoxins that have some really unpleasant and health-threatening effects on the human biology. Black mold can be identified due to its black-green looks and a slimy layer on top of its growth. If the moisture around it has disappeared, it may even survive in powdery form while still retaining its deadly toxicity. Never disturb black mold as it will be easy to disperse and inhale in such conditions. The following tips are meant for treating regular mold, under no circumstances should you handle black mold alone and without the help of a professional cleaning company:

Bleach can be used to remove most common mold species, as it helps kill mold spores and it sanitizes areas it comes in contact with. You can use a safe ratio of one part bleach to ten parts water to treat the growth or you can even use straight bleach to completely annihilate an area, but you will need to make sure you rinse things well enough when you’re done, wearing gloves and ventilating the area as you do. Bleach however can be quite corrosive, as well as not very effective with porous surfaces, so make sure you keep that in mind as you work.

Borax on the other hand is a wonderful way to deal with mold in a safe way without the attached toxicity we often attribute to cleaning supplies. You can mix the borax powder with water in the same quantities as bleach and you will have great results in stopping mold from infested areas and killing it future growth.

Vinegar is another wonderful solution to mold issues, as it will destroy most of the common molds out there without too much work involved. You can use a humble spray bottle to apply it to the area, letting it work on the mold until it dries off.

Ammonia is also a viable way to destroy mold, but it happens to be highly toxic and it should never be mixed with bleach during the cleaning process, as it produces dangerous toxic fumes you may really suffer from. Consider it a last ditch solution in most cases.

Read more tips at: http://bayswater-

This entry was posted in General, House Cleaning and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.